Pakistan is facing a food waste crisis. Up to 40 % of the cooked food is wasted across the country, and around 36 million tons of food go to waste every year. This has a serious impact on food insecurity, small business, and is a major contributing force to climate change as well. If we reduced this figure, we could feed 43% food insecure population of the country. Indeed, it is not wrong to say that the food waste is one of the biggest problems facing humankind today. Here’s is why:
• Over one third of all food produced globally goes to waste and the value of this wasted food is
worth over $1 trillion. (FAO, National
• An area larger than China and 25% of the world’s fresh water supply is used to grow food that is never eaten. (FAO, Plos One)
• If food waste were a country it would be the 3rd largest emitter of greenhouse gases (after China & the USA). (FAO)
• Meanwhile, 821 million people go to bed hungry every night. That is 1 in 9 people on the planet who are starving or malnourished. (Food Aid Foundation)
• Due to COVID-19, 256 million will face acute food insecurity by the end of 2020 unless swift action is taken. (WFPUSA)
• 2.3 billion people are joining the planet by 2050 – this will require a 60-70% increase in global food production. Or we can just stop throwing away our food! (FAO)
• According to some estimates every year around 36 million tons of food go to waste in Pakistan
including 40 percent of the cooked food.
• Reportedly, in a major hotel in the Capital, 870kg of food is wasted each day. (The Nation)
• Due to COVID-19, nearly 6.9 million households claim to have reduced the number or size of meals and Greater proportion of 50+ years old respondents (29%) report borrowing food or seeking a friend / relatives help. ( Gallup Pakistan )
Have you ever thought about eating the problem?
Are you thinking How?
Don’t worry! We are introducing Pakistan’s first food waste app that connects food surplus/ leftovers with food insecure and allow them to share and eat the problem locally.
Take a photo. Add the pickup location – home/a safe space, or a public location.
Get notified when you have a request. Check out a user’s profile and verifications.
Feel like hero knowing you’ve helped save resources, the planet and made a neighbour’s day!
Browse the near by listed items. See where they are, and view the user’s profile.
Send a friendly message requesting the listing.
Show up at the agreed place and time. Feel great knowing you’ve saved something from landfill!
Sharing out connects the people with people and directly with businesses. Food surplus/leftover/ approaching best before date listed on the app by the household and businesses with time and pick-up/ delivery instructions. The nearby people can browse the listed items and request it for free or a discounted price. The Sharing Out stars and staff mostly manage food surplus/ leftover of the businesses.
Sharing Out stars drive most of the listed food directly from the food surplus/ leftover to the receiving person or agency. This ‘allows us to deliver tasty, fresh, and healthy food to food-insecure families who mostly don’t have access to this due to high cost and inconsistent availability. In the future, direct delivery will also reduce our warehousing and double transportation costs. Third-party services will also be used for the delivery.
In Pakistan’s food waste management, the Sharing Out is a revolutionary concept. The app is the core of our food rescue operations. All food rescue opportunities are listed on the Sharing Out app, and the food rescuer simply signs up and log on to the app for food rescue. The app has all the details of food secured, food donors, and food-insecure families. The Sharing Out app makes food rescue and sharing very simple and efficient.
Sharing Out stars are the local community volunteers who spare there time, resources, and energy to facilitate the food securing and sharing operations. Due to the app-based food securing platform, our volunteers will be able to see what food items are available to rescue and share. The app makes it very easy for volunteers to rescue and share food.
Sharing Out enables the businesses to sell their surplus food and grocery foods approaching their best-before date on discounted price. It also helps the restaurants eliminate last-minute restaurant food waste by selling it on half or even less. As a result, local community users eat great food for less, and businesses get additional revenue.
We have a window that allows philanthropists and wealthy people to make donations for the people in need. The process is facilitated in collaboration with grocery stores and money transfer businesses. When someone donates through the app, the selected deserving person will be notified through a private message in the app, and a text message also sent on their cell number. The message contains details and the verification code. The person can walk through the nearest store/ money transfer shop (participating one) and collect the rashan/ cash by showing them the message.